Monday, 28 May 2012

Lemon and Poppy Seed Cupcakes

The sun is out, its officially spring/summer and its exam season. Time for a new post.

Now usually when it comes to exam time my baking goes into over drive. I am a master procrastinator, in fact this blog was born out of a loving place of procrastination. 
When faced with the question 'so what did you do today?' apparently it is not OK to admit you vegged in your bed the whole day surfing the 'net, watching old season of Grey's Anatomy and Desperate Housewives. But should you reply with 'Oh, I baked cupcakes', people fall under the illusion that you are some sort of domestic goddess that found time to whip up something fancy in her very busy day.
FALSE.
Sometimes I bake just to have something to show for my day, and what of it? Its OK to only get dressed because you spilled cake batter on your pajamas. 


These cupcakes are the perfect combination of sweet and sour, with a tangy lemony filling they are just delicious. 
I was in such a hurry to decortae these babies I totally forgot to take pictures of the process, FORGIVE ME. If you are unsure about your mixture, the recipe is essentially this one with a few added extras.

Cupcakes
1 cup (123g) plain flour
1 cup (123g) granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg
1/4 cup (57g) butter
1/2 a finely grated lemon
the juice of one lemon
100g of poppy seeds

Filling
Lemon curd, store bought or if you're a hardcore domestic goddess feel free to make your own (and teach me how).

Frosting
I kind of made it up soooooo just taste it as you go along and see it how it goes.
icing sugar powder
1/2 a lemon
a few drops of lemon essence
butter
cream cheese

Follow these instructions.
But for those of you who are too lazy to click the link, welcome to my world, I will give you a quick run down.
1. Mix butter and sugar until pale creamy texture.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until fully combined.
3. Fill up the cupcake cases 3/4 of the way and bake for about 20 minutes, a toothpick should come out clean.

Allow them to fully cool.
4. Use an apple corer or the wider end of a piping tip to gouge out the center of the cup cake. 
Fight to temptation to eat the little piece that comes out. KEEP IT.
5. Spoon some lemon curd into the whole.
6. Put the little piece of cake on top of the hole filled with lemon curd.
(I promise at some point, I will do a tutorial of how to do this properly.)
7. Frost the cupcakes.

Decorate as you wish. I made those little fondant flowers by rolling out some fondant and using a flower shaped cookie cutter. Pipe some yellow icing in teh center of the flower and use a knife to create the 'veins' in the petals. I sprinkled some poppy-seeds and graded lemon rind to finish.

....and TAADAAAAA: Cupcake.








2 comments:

I love getting your comments and reading every single one.
Seriously, do it.